Property Claim Field Adjuster (N. Milwaukee
Company: American Family Insurance
Posted on: December 3, 2019
At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and
employees. That's why we provide more than just a job - we provide
opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a
new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next,
you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts
with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team.
Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:Job ID: R14624 Property Claim Field
Adjuster (N. Milwaukee, WI) (Open)Summary:The Property Claim Field
Adjuster position supports the Claim Division goal of ensuring
customer service industry leadership and partners with agency to
deliver seamless claim service across multiple states. An
experienced adjuster who has achieved mastery in and performs all
areas of property claim adjustment activities with the highest
degree of competency and independence. Processes and continues to
develop a mastery of complex property field claims that require
on-site inspection on a routine basis required of an experienced
property claim adjuster. Evidences effective performance in the
areas of customer, agency and public
relations.Responsibilities:Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions,
support or service
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively handle
simple to moderately complex property claims.
- Demonstrated fundamental understanding of policies and
endorsements related to property coverages.
- Flexibility to work nontraditional hours.
- Successfully applied knowledge of each phase of the property
claim handling process.
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving
- Must be willing to travel for Catastrophe duty if
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work in high, precarious
places between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with exposure to
outside weather conditions between 66 and 100% of the time (applies
to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to climb or balance between
1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to work with distance vision
(clear vision at 20 feet or more) for extended periods of time
(applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or
crawl between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds
between 1 and 33% of the time.
Additional Job Information:Territory will primarily be: Washington,
Ozaukee and Dodge Counties.
Job Description:Primary Accountabilities
Estimating Loss & Damages (15%)
- Gathers information via on-site inspections, and researches via
phone and internet to determine replacement costs for both
structure and contents. Complete building inspections meeting OSHA
- Prepares accurate estimates by utilizing electronic estimating
tools and systems, replacement research results and finally
contractor data to establish fair and competitive pricing within
Fair Claims Acts.
- Determines when to repair or replace structural and personal
property loss items dependent on careful review of factors
- Sets reserves within authority and recommends settlement values
when loss exceeds authority.
- Completes factual reports in a timely manner with company
corporate standards and state regulations.
- Maintains and controls additional living expense exposure.
- Within authority, investigates cause and origin of claims by
contacting the appropriate parties including insureds, claimants,
agents, attorneys, contractors, other adjusters, public personnel,
etc. Checks for prior claims and recognizes environmental
- Identifies and coordinates others to assist with complex issues
such as court interpretations, structural design and mold.
Assistance may be sought from Legal, company personnel, and
experts, e.g. engineers.
- Recognizes pertinent issues and formats questions to obtain
recorded or written statements to properly resolve the assigned
claims. Handles claims on a good faith basis.
- Recognizes when to secure public documents to complete a claim
file investigation. Secures, preserves and maintains evidence in a
- Recognizes and investigates losses involving subrogation and
salvage potential. Uses knowledge of third party and tort
- Identifies and investigates fraud files within authority and
handles complex fraud files. Involves and coordinates investigation
with SIU (Special Investigations Unit) when necessary.
Policy Determination & Analysis (10%)
- Interprets and determines policies and contract coverages and
applies to all parties for assigned losses. Interprets claim
history coverages. Selects proper loss codes based on policy
- Identifies state-specific legislation and legal precedent based
on prior legal cases for assigned geographical area. Seeks
assistance as needed.
- Utilizes company Claim Bulletins, manuals and best practices.
Demonstrates knowledge of underwriting guidelines, inspects risks
and makes recommendations to the Underwriting Department as
- Applies decision making process to available data to determine
extent of coverage or non-coverage and communicates results to
Negotiation, Settlement (15%)
- Handles claim negotiations by settling within authority and
providing the best customer experience in the industry.
- Provides a clear explanation of the estimate to the customer,
answers all questions and processes the claim payment.
- Recognizes the need for and obtains non-waiver as needed.
Recognizes the need for and sends Reservation of Rights
- Recognizes, controls and resolves disputes with tact and
diplomacy. Notifies or directly involves the agent in the dispute
resolution. Utilizes arbitration, appraisal and alternate dispute
resolution as needed. Recognizes when assistance is needed and
File Management (15%)
- Actively manages individual claim inventory and works toward
meeting cycle-time goals for closing files. Claim inventory will
focus on complex and highly complex claims within a given authority
level that require on-site inspection, face-to-face contact with
customers, and HRP (Homeowner Repair Program) reinspections.
Maintains a mobile office for settling claims. These claims include
but are not limited to structure damage, smoke, water and fire
losses that require additional documentation and extensive
investigation other than provided by the care center due to complex
coverage issues, fraud indicators, involvement of public adjustors
or need for specialty vendors (engineers, etc.)
- Utilizes the electronic integrated claim system to complete and
document actions throughout the life of the file.
- Conducts initial review of claims received to identify prior
actions taken (e.g. services provided by the Customer Care Center
and appointments scheduled) and determine next steps.
- Contributes to the team environment by assisting with claims
from other adjusters inventories in the adjuster's absence.
Responds to customer inquiries, makes appropriate decisions and
closes file as needed.
- Assists with claims from desk adjusters when on-site
inspections are required.
- Makes independent decisions and self-supervises most files but
recognizes when assistance is needed. Maintains a global view of
the property claim workflow in order to provide customers with
appropriate, accurate and timely information throughout the life
cycle of their claim.
Agency Relationship (15%)
- Establishes rapport with agents and builds on-going
relationships by including agents in the claim handling process as
- Partners with agency to provide seamless customer service.
Jointly identifies opportunities for process improvements and
establishes and implements action plans to address them.
- Facilitates communication between customers, agents, vendors,
third party administrators and other employees. Proactively
provides agents with important claim related information; provides
all parties with claim process and status as appropriate; answers
questions or redirects to other areas.
- Explains and discusses any circumstances that may affect
customer service with agency, vendors, third part administrators or
other claim personnel. Includes agents in problem resolution as
- Provides agents with claim handling information via phone
conversations, office visits or presentations at district
Additional Assignments (10%)
- Conducts effective training for Claims personnel, agents and
others as required.
- Participates in claim committee meetings and claim-related
projects as needed.
- Performs disaster claim duty as necessary.
HRP & Vendor Programs (5%)
- Understands and explains the HRP (Homeowner Repair Program) and
other vendor programs to insureds and claimants.
- Develops relationships with HRP contractors and
content-replacement and specialty vendors. Maintains contacts
during the life cycle of the file.
- Conducts HRP contractor inspections.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!LI:AW2
Keywords: American Family Insurance, Waukesha , Property Claim Field Adjuster (N. Milwaukee, Other , Waukesha, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!