Public Health Supervisor
Company: Waukesha County
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Under direction, to assist in the administration, coordination,
and evaluation of public health programs for the County; to provide
supervision of public health nursing staff; and to perform other
duties as required.
Example of Duties
- Participates in planning, developing, coordinating and
implementing public health policies, procedures, programs and
- Participates in personnel related activities which include
addressing staff performance and evaluation issues, assignments and
providing skills development and in service education.
- Directs staff in assessing client needs, treatment approaches
and caseload management.
- Assists in the development of grant applications for funding
for public health programs and participates in the development of
requests for proposals for public health programs, evaluates
responses and makes recommendations for selection.
- Develops and manages State grant budgets and monitors the
status of these grants on meeting negotiated objectives,
authorization of payment and quality of performance.
- Monitors public health program and contractual program outcome
measures, recommends strategies to meet these outcome measures and
implement new initiatives.
- Provides analyzed statistical County, State and Federal
required reports that relate to public health delivered
- Oversees local compliance with federal and state public health
statutes and administrative codes that protects the public's health
and safety; oversees compliance with local ordinances that directs
local public health activities.
- Coordinates public health programs with federal, state and
other local agencies to ensure appropriate services provided to
- Provides education and public awareness on behalf of the Public
Health Division while networking with other public and private
community groups, coalitions and organizations, i.e., health
related agencies, courts, schools, etc.
- Prepares programmatic statistical reports and maintains
- Interprets division programmatic policies and procedures to
staff, community, other professional agencies and the public.
- Prepares and presents programmatic reports to elected
officials, boards and committees.
- Participates in developing the division budget and monitors the
appropriated expenditures and projected revenues.
- Participates in on-going community assessment which includes
regular and systematic collection, assembly, and analysis of
community health statistics, community health needs and emerging
- Ensure adherence and compliance to the policies and procedures
of the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPAA) of 1996 in regards to protected health information.
- Available as a first responder, for seven days a week
twenty-four-hour work coverage, for public health and/or emergency
government public health outbreak or disaster response.
- Participates in planning, developing, coordinating,
implementing and responding in a County Chemical, Biological,
Nuclear, Radiological Terrorism Event or Natural Disaster.
- Performs other duties as required.
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public
health, nursing, epidemiology, and communicable disease control and
- Comprehensive knowledge of supervisory and administrative
principles, practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of the role of public health programs
and the objectives of a public agency providing these
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state and local laws, rules
and regulations concerning the operation of public health
- Considerable knowledge of confidentiality statutes and
requirements, including the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996.
- Considerable knowledge of emergency government and incident
command structures and protocols, including first responder role
- Considerable knowledge of chemical, biological, nuclear, and
radiological terrorism preparedness response.
- Working knowledge of budgeting, planning and analytical methods
- Working knowledge of computerized department program software,
including electronic health record, internet access and database,
spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise and evaluate the work of
- Ability to interpret and apply division rules, directives and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with the staff, public health officials, community
organizations and the public.
- Ability to effectively interact with sensitivity with persons
from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational, racial, ethnic
and professional backgrounds, and persons of all ages and
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and complete records
- Ability to prepare and present written and oral reports.
- Ability to provide effective instruction to address varying
learning needs of the staff.
- Ability to utilize word processing, database and spreadsheet
You must meet these minimum Training and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized college or university with a
bachelor's degree in nursing with approved curricula in public
health or community health.
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in
- Two (2) years of work experience in public health nursing.
- A master's degree from a recognized college or university with
a major in nursing may be substituted for one year of the work
Waukesha County's Department of Health and Human Services Public
Health Division is recruiting for a regular full-time Public Health
Supervisor to join its team.
This position includes an excellent benefit package, including
access to an on-site medical clinic.
Successful candidate will be eligible for performance based
merit increases and non-base performance awards.
Waukesha County has a population of 390,000 and is located in
the southeast corner of Wisconsin, next to the Milwaukee
metropolitan area, two hours northwest of Chicago, 30 minutes from
downtown Milwaukee, and approximately one hour from Madison.
Keywords: Waukesha County, Waukesha , Public Health Supervisor, Other , Waukesha, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!