Company: Waukesha County
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Waukesha County's Department of Public Works Fleet Division is
searching for a vehicle mechanic with welding and fabrication
experience to join its team.
The ideal candidate will have experience designing and
fabricating parts and equipment along with proven experience
performing preventive maintenance and major repair work on a
variety of vehicles, such as but not limited to automobiles,
trucks, tractors, bulldozers, graders, mowers, small engines, and
Waukesha County prides itself on operating in a business-like
manner and is recognized as a leader delivering high quality
services with competence and skill. With our vision of "Leading the
Way", we value teamwork and collaboration, ethics and diversity,
communication, efficiency and cost savings, innovation, and the
wellbeing of our staff and the citizens we serve. Employees are
provided professional development opportunities and encouragement
to learn and practice continuous improvement and LEAN principles as
we regularly ask ourselves "Is there a better way?"
Rewards & Recognition
The 2021 starting hourly rate range is $23.95 to $27.82 (full
range extends to $31.68). Successful candidates will be eligible
for performance-based merit increases and non-base performance
In addition, the County provides a comprehensive benefits
package including health, dental, vision, life insurance, generous
paid time off, and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement
Employee well-being is promoted through a balanced work-life
culture and through an exceptional employee wellness program that
offers a variety of programs and tools to help promote an
employee's wellness and health, including an on-site health &
Example of Duties
- Performs major repairs of all County vehicles assigned to
Central Fleet Operations including automobiles, trucks, tractors,
bulldozers, graders, mowers, small engines, and other
- Performs engine exchanges, major tune ups, transmission
exchanges, and repairs of various elements of the drive train,
including metal fabrication and welding.
- Performs adjustments and repairs to brake, suspension, and
- Performs preventive maintenance on vehicles including the
lubrication, oil and filter changes, other fluid level checks and
changes; and performs oil and fluid analysis as required.
- Designs and fabricates parts and equipment with or without
plans or specifications needed to repair and replace broken
vehicles or stationary equipment to make less prone to breakage and
to increase safety.
- Uses handheld diagnostic equipment and portable laptop which
contain advanced troubleshooting software for all classes of
vehicles including electronic, electrical, and mechanic failures,
including OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) web based
diagnostic software tailored to specific vehicle components.
- Performs tire repair and maintenance through the removal of
worn out or punctured tires or tubes; balances tires,
maintains(TPMS) tire pressure monitoring systems, and installs
tires and wheels on vehicles and equipment.
- Receives new vehicles and equipment; performs vehicle set-up
which includes uplifting, decaling, installing communications
systems, and specification validation.
- Operates equipment and vehicles to ensure compliance and safety
standards with repairs and maintenance.
- Prepares records and reports as required.
- Establishes and maintains effective working and public
relations with co workers, customers and the public.
- Performs other duties as required.
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the operating principles of internal
combustion engines, drive trains, electrical systems, multi-plexed
electrical systems, controller area network (CAN) electronic
systems, chassis components of vehicles and other motor driven
- Considerable knowledge of current industry standards,
procedures, materials, tools and equipment used in the maintenance
and repair of vehicles and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of safety practices in the maintenance,
repair, and operation of vehicles or other motor driven
- Considerable knowledge of the tools including diagnostic, hand,
pneumatic, hydraulic, and electric maintenance, materials, and
equipment used in fabrication, welding, and maintenance.
- Working knowledge of metals, their strengths and failures,
- Working knowledge of the principles, practices, and materials
used in the repair of tires and tubes.
- Ability to perform work in the maintenance and repair of
equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working and public
relations with co workers, internal and external customers,
vendors, and the public.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical failures and defects in wide
variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to operate a wide range of vehicles and equipment for
the purposes of diagnosing vehicle problems and ensuring that
repairs have been properly completed.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate various vehicle and equipment diagnostic and
repair machines, tools, and equipment.
- Ability to respond at any time during emergency situations to
provide mechanical support for other County operations responding
You must meet these minimum Training and Experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Three years of experience in the major overhaul and repair of
diesel and gasoline powered vehicles and equipment.
- Recognized post high school training directly in mechanical
maintenance may be substituted on a year for year basis for up to
one year's experience.
- Ability to obtain a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License
from the State of Wisconsin within six (6) months of
Preferred: post high school training and related work experience
in welding and fabrication using stick and MIG welders, torches and
plasma cutters, and other fabrication equipment (saws, grinders,
press, etc.). Supplemental Information
Prior to hiring, candidates are required to pass a Driver's
License and Police background check, and a Physical Exam/Drug
Keywords: Waukesha County, Waukesha , Mechanic, Other , Waukesha, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!