Category Manager - Machining
Posted on: February 21, 2021
The Category Manager develops, implements, and maintains a category
strategy that supports a company's supply chain. The position is
responsible for implementing a best cost sourcing strategy for the
categories assigned. A best cost sourcing strategy will include
specific knowledge of categories assigned and an assessment of
commodity prices for each category of spend. The Category Manager
will have solid data mining and negotiation skills and the ability
to lead and mentor assigned personnel and cross-functional teams.
- Manage Cost and Working Capital Improvement Opportunities for
purchased parts and services:
- Categorize spend and drive material productivity through spend
consolidation, direct negotiation and stocking strategies.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop and track progress
of productivity projects (PCIS)
- Work with category suppliers to drive Lead Time reductions
- Improve Supplier Payment Terms
- Support the implementation of Kanban systems for all purchased
- Supplier consolidation and Supplier count reductions
- Preferred Supplier, development
- Drive Category productivity or price mitigation based on
changing raw material costs
- Support Supplier relationships building together with Supply
- Support Supplier Improvement Process for OTD and Quality
- Support NPD (New Product Development) and our Product Out
process to ensure:
- Best Value Supplier Selection
- Supplier Process capability with new product launch
- Aggressive lead time commitment to meet or exceed program
- Primary responsibility for Supplier performance improvement
within the global category supply base
- Manage the total cost of suppliers, making improvements in
total cost including terms, freight, unit cost and inventory
- Maintain and nurture effective working
relationships/communications with key support functions -
Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, Finance, MIS, Sales &
Marketing, and Product Development.
- Identify new world-class suppliers; execute Category strategies
and individual supplier strategies, assists with movement of
- Works closely with Quality, Engineering and Supplier operations
to assess and ensure supplier capability to meet established
- Maintains excellent Supplier relations/communications..
- Bachelor's degree in a technical or business field.
- 5-12 years' experience in the purchasing of raw materials,
manufactured components and mechanical equipment or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrates proven ability to lead aggressive cost-down
initiatives, with sourcing/ resourcing strategies, DFM cost
reductions, new technologies and other methods.
- Proven experience in establishing and maintaining business
relationships with suppliers to enhance short and long term
- Knowledge/experience with:
- Manufacturing processes, metal cutting, plastic injection
molding, metal fabrication, electronics, other
- MRP II, material and production control systems, preferred
- Proficiency reading engineering drawings and specifications,
- Lean Manufacturing techniques, Kaizen and Kanban principles,
- Quality Management Systems, ISO and 6-sigma disciplines,
training and experience, required
- A thorough knowledge of MRP, Kanban, master scheduling,
inventory management, forecasting, preferred
- Understanding of sales/marketing, preferred
- International buying, vendor selection/certification
experience, line reviews and advanced preferred
- Demonstrated leadership skills are a must.
- CPIM or APICS certification, preferred
- Demonstrated accomplishments in inventory management to support
lean manufacturing operations with a global supply chain
- Demonstrated Supplier development and improvement
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook,
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a highly
proactive interpersonal style.
- Ability to work in a team based environment.PM21
Keywords: CentroMotion, Waukesha , Category Manager - Machining, Professions , Waukesha, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!